8.27.2008

{"my back hurts"}

*WARNING: The images below may be of a graphic nature as they were not cropped - they are rated as PG-13 due to rashy-toddler bum crack.

"Mommy, my back hurts. Kiss it."

That's what Dean kept saying all morning yesterday. I wasn't sure what to think because, well, he's two. And, have I ever mentioned that he actually likes medicine? The kid is just plain weird.

At first it was hard to be sure that he wasn't just saying it to get kisses, attention, or even medicine if he went on long enough. If you know us well, you know we are not actually big on medicine at all. The boys only get a small dose when their fevers go over 103 or when they have a substantial pain (like Dean's fire ant encounter once upon a time). After all, a fever is the body's way of naturally fighting an illness so why try to stop it from doing what it is supposed to? (Just our thoughts on the issue, of course.) The problem is, For Dean, every fever is over the 103 mark, so he has had his fair share and decided that he likes it - little punk.

Anyhow, I admit it. I gave in. Who am I to decide if his back was really in that much pain or not? I felt bad about the idea of not trying to help make his pain go away so I gave him a half-dose of Childrens' Ibuprofen and it seemed to help because he stopped reminding me that his back hurt (he was saying it about every ten minutes before that). He seemed much better so I put him down for nap about two hours after he had his medicine.

This is what he looked like when he woke up.


What the heck? So, I went through the checklist: had he had anything new to eat? No. Did he get into something - lotion or cream of some sort? No. Does he have a bug bite? No.

Then I called the doctor just to get Dean's name on the after-hours list to see our pediatrician just in case it got worse. Luckily, it started getting better and going away on it's own. But, then this little beauty showed up in the precise location where he kept saying his back hurt!


Seeing the new bump made me realize that he had done something to hurt his back on Monday, but I couldn't remember what it was. So, we decided to keep our appointment after all and made our way to Dean's doctor at 7pm. (By the way, this whole time Dean could care less about the rash. He didn't have a fever and was behaving just fine except for the mysterious back pain.)

The verdict? Hives?! What! After all that, it's only hives. (My friend Jen even supposed that, but I just wasn't sure.) What a stinker Dean is. Apparently the back pain is most likely unrelated (or he was confusing itching with pain) and the hives could have been caused from anything so no way to narrow down a reason for this. Oh well. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

6 comments:

The Bluths said...

Crazy!

Jody said...

Maybe that was just his way of saying, "mom, something's bugging me on my back". All my kids have gone through the "my ___ hurts" when they don't know what else to say.

BTW, Noah had some weird reactions when I gave him pain relievers when he was young. It was so frustrating because I knew he was uncomfortable, but he'd always get a rash or red eyes or swollen fingers, etc. I thought for a long time he was allergic but his doctor said a lot of babies go through it. Now that I know he's the most sensitive child on earth when it comes to ANYTHING, I'm not so worried when something weird pops up.

Jenna said...

Your blog is so cute. I havent been on here forever! How are you? Looks like you are more busy than me and i wasnt sure that was possible. Hope your GRRRREAT! Call me!

Dave & Chels said...

(haha..PG-13. I don't know why that is funny...)
That rash would have freaked me out! When I got to the end and saw it was hives, it totally made sense. I remember in college you got hives about once a week. (Is that too much info for this blog?) Then I thought, "He is so his mother's child." At least have experience in that area! Hope he gets better.
(Although, I don't think I ever saw you with hives all over...then again, I never saw you naked. Okay, I will stop now.)

S. Fantasia said...

Haha. I know, I know. He is totally my child. We think that all the time when stuff like this happens.

Whenever I got hives though, it was just one little spot, maybe two on a bad day and it was usually just when I got busy or stressed. I actually never knew what caused it but it was always so benign and usually just looked like a small bug bite - and was gone in 10 minutes.

I never knew the true meaning of hives and how bad people get them until Dean's little breakout. Apparently, some people's throats close up too, but never mine, and Dean's didn't either.

simply jami said...

hives are terrible! No wonder he was complaining...poor kiddo!