6.14.2009

{quick update}


I just got a questionable comment on one of my posts and thought I had better update as some are more concerned than necessary about Ava's current health.

As of our last weigh-in, this weekend, she is now over 9 lbs, which is about the 35th percentile. That's smaller than average (as were all of our kids at this age) but, by all means VERY healthy. HOORAY! She must be getting more/better milk from me than it has seemed. Mostly, I think, because I have been pumping and feeding it to her that way. She doesn't EVER get full nursing at my breast because she always falls asleep.

Our pediatrician already ruled out "failure to thrive". My breast milk is just a little more skim than most, among some other hormone issues I'm having that are suppressing my supply just a bit still, but I am a firm believer that breast milk is best so long as I can provide it and it proves nourishing for my baby. However, I also feel that my baby's health and comfort come first, so she gets an additional 2-4oz of formula a day which has been all necessary to sustain her.

Thanks for the concern and please know that I would never make any decisions, no matter what I believe about breast milk versus formula, that would harm the growth and development of my baby. I have done everything in my power to make sure I am doing what is best for Ava and that includes speaking to my pediatrician, visiting my endocrinologist for testing, and consulting with several nursing specialists.

7 comments:

The Bluths said...

You don't need to defend yourself here! This is your blog, did you have another bad comment?

I think I just had fat in my milk because I didn't make very much, but Gavin was still chubby.

Unknown said...

Sweet mercy, who out there is always in your personal life and decisions. You are a wonderful and knowledgeable mother you are doing great

Jessica said...

I agree, you are doing great. Geez, anyone that has ever put all the effort that goes into making nursing works could tell you that you have to love your baby and want the best for them to do all that work. I'm excited that she's doing better. And it's because of you!
People should only leave nice comments or not comment at all.

eliza said...

so glad to hear that ava is doing so well!

Brittney Deanne said...

Ava is beautiful! I'm so glad she is doing better. I can't believe you have 3 kids! Wow, how time flies...

Juli and Brett said...

I am sorry that once again you have had to defend yourself. I can't believe that someone would think that you are not putting Ava's health first. Ridiculous! I am glad to hear that things are going better. She is such a beautiful little baby.

Yvonne said...

So glad Ava has gained a pound and a half in the 2 weeks since you posted your nursing blog keep up the good work no need to defend the family was just expressing concern