11.07.2007

Just one of those days!

You know the kind of "days" I am referring to if you've ever been (or currently are, as in most of my friends situations) pregnant. The hormones must be at an all-time high today as I sit here listening to my not-so-baby boy snoring through the baby monitor. I would turn it down, but I love the little noises he makes while he's sleeping. I have definitely been feeling a lot more emotional, nostalgic, sentimental (you name it, I feel it, trust me) lately and catch myself pulling my sleeping boy out of his bed each night just so I can snuggle with him and hold him in my arms. (I'm sure Devin wonders why I do this all-of-a-sudden, but he quietly indulges me.) I even caught myself wiping tears from my eyes as I drove home yesterday after some errands. As I peered in the rear-view mirror at Dean in his car seat, I realized that there used to be many days when I would look back at the empty seats behind me and dream about this day - the day that my car would be dirty from cracker crumbs and stinky from spilled milk, but mostly, the day that my car would finally be filled with of all of those precious little noises that little ones make while being chauffeured along in the back (I'll even settle for the not-so-precious noises that tend to happen now and again).



It seems like only yesterday Dean was born and now he seems so grown-up - walking, talking, kissing and hugging - that I have to remind myself that he's still my "baby". After all, he just barely turned 17 months. But, don't be deceived, my sentiment doesn't end with my baby boy. I seem to have a reserve for my sweet husband too. Let's face it, we have our spats just like any other couple out there, but at the end of the day all I want is to lay next to him and fall asleep in his arms. (Which I'm not actually sure if he likes or dislikes. But again, he indulges me - good man.)

Sometimes I find myself just sitting back and watching Devin and Dean play together and I think to myself, "what a perfect moment". I even love the way Devin gets a smile on his face when he hears Dean really start to giggle or sees him do something new or silly. I don't even know if he knows he does it, but I love it. I think that's just one of the things that makes him a great Daddy. Speaking of being a daddy...when did that happen, exactly? Did it happen when I first found out I was pregnant or when little Dean-o was finally born? Or, was he a "dad" type of guy all along - sweet and silly and willing to act like a goof even in public for the sake and entertainment of his children. I prefer to think it's the latter. After all, he did take me to the park to fingerpaint on one of our first dates - and I loved every minute of it. He's exactly the type of man I've always wanted to marry but never thought I'd meet. And now we are about to have another beautiful baby boy to add to the amazing family we already have. (And hey, if picket fences were allowed in our neighborhood, we'd have one of those too.) I truly am blessed.

Anyhow, random tangent, I know. But hey, just indulge me. After all, Devin would. :o)

6 comments:

tiff snedaker said...

What a sweet post! I know what you mean about wanting to pull them out of bed just to cuddle them.
I love the new look too! How'd you get the template uploaded?

S. Fantasia said...

Thanks. I actually made the template using downloadable scrapbook pages. Ashley helped me out. *Thanks Ash* :o)

the milners said...

I loved this post! You spoke my emotions when you talked about looking in the back seat and dreaming about the day it was filled with your own precious children. *sniff sniff* What a special feeling to be able to hold your very own blessing in your arms each night!

The Bluths said...

I've been feeling the same way lately. I rubbed Logan's back and belly last night till he fell asleep (grant it he wasn't feeling well) but I love those moments when they are calm and don't mind you being next to them.

tiff snedaker said...

our e-mail is snedfam@gmail.com

Thanks Steph!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your baby boy! post some picks soon.