Well, Devin, Dean and I are safely home from the hospital, but without our new baby boy, unfortunately. Eli has already been removed from the CPAP (respiratory tubes)and was never put on an actual ventilator, thankfully. He is progressing quickly and seems to be much better each time we see him. He has been on antibiotics since birth to prevent any potential infection exposure as well as to kill any possible lung infection that he may have had. We just spoke with a neonatal specialist from the NICU who told us that he should be removed from the antibiotics by morning and that they will try to stop his I.V. at that time as well. Eli has also done well at regulating his own body temperature (as well as any newborn, I suppose) without being under constant heat which is another requirement before we can take him home. Since his body heat, blood sugar, respiratory and heartbeat have naturally regulated themselves, we only have one more challenge to overcome. Food.
Eli has had a feeding tube down either his nose or mouth at all times leading to his stomach for nourishment. Unfortunately, he is not digesting anything so they keep having to pump what little food they put into his little tummy back out. After speaking with many of the nurses, we have learned that although we only have this one milestone left to conquer, it is a big one and often times can take quite a while. Eli is not showing interest in food at all meaning that his body just isn't ready for it (and shouldn't be since any other 35-week-old should still be in the womb). We just have to wait until he is ready and capable to digest his food so that his tummy will not expand or even rupture from the bloating. They are going to try to feed him 5 ml of food in the morning and see how it goes. In the meantime, I just have to continue using the joyous (sarcasm) breast pump every two hours. Then I just drive my tiny little vial (four drips and all - you gotta love waiting for breast milk to come in) of colostrum to the hospital and they freeze it until Eli can have it. He better enjoy it! :o)
Oh! And the best part (I can't believe I forgot to mention), WE FINALLY GOT TO HOLD HIM! We are so grateful for all the prayers and support from all of you and truly feel the Lord's hands in all of Eli's progress. Thank you so much and please keep it up - it's working. Eli is recovering far quicker than anyone could've hoped. He's a fighter and we can't wait to bring him home to meet his big brother.
8 comments:
aw, honey! congratulations!! my prayers are with little eli and and all of you. he sounds like such a strong little guy. i cant wait for more pictures. :) definately pics of both the boys.
Well you sure look amazing for just having a baby! I am glad to hear that his progression is fast! You are in our thoughts and prayers!!
PS..the song HEY THERE DELILAH is my song you know?? It was written just for me!
Devin & Stephanie~
Congratulations on Eli's arrival! He (and you) will be in our prayers! Love, Matt & Shannon
p.s. Matt thinks it's crazy that you guys have two kids already! Lila- where the heck are WE!?!?
I am so glad to hear he is doing better. Your family is in our prayers and if you need anything(like someone to pick up Dean for a while, or anything else), please call:)
Amoreena
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear he's doing so well. P&PT's coming your way that his little tummy will adjust quickly to your milk!
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear he's doing so well. P&PT's coming your way that his little tummy will adjust quickly to your milk!
Dear Stephanie and Devin, Thank you so much for keeping us informed on baby Eli's condition. As you know , we have been praying for baby Eli and we know that God will answer our prayers and baby Eli will soon be home with his brother dean and his mom and dad. Lots of Love and Prayers, grandma and grandpa fantasia
I sure hope your hospital is close! Mine is 1/2 hour away. Glad things are progressing, hopefully he can digest his little food soon!
Post a Comment