5.24.2010

{preschool graduation...kinda}


Hooray! Dean graduated his first year of preschool. It's only "kinda" a graduation because he has one more year of preschool to go before he goes to kindergarten. But they held a graduation nonetheless so who are we to shun a good party? He was so cute in his little preschool t-shirt as he performed his little musical number. He's a bit of a class clown so he kept putting that glow necklace that the teachers gave him around his head like a halo.

He has been in the local high school's preschool program. There is a teacher that oversees and does all the major planning and delegating (and is required by law to be there at all times) but it is mostly run by the junior and senior students in the program. It's really competitive based on grades, past attendance and behavioral records and it's a pretty rigorous application process for the kids to get into. I know because I asked and because I was, once upon a time, nervous at the idea of my kiddo being cared for by teenagers. Well, I was SOOOOOOO wrong to worry.

Dean has made leaps and bounds in his academics through the year. Let's face it, sometimes a kid gets sick and bored of listening to Mom and Dad no matter how much we try to spruce up the teaching. Let's also face it, high school girls are so much more fun than parents! It helps to be taught by someone new which can offer a different way of looking at things. But, most of all, aside form academics he has made such sweet friends in his older teachers.

The world can be a scary place to send our little ones into. The most rewarding lesson Dean learned in his preschool this year is that he's loved by more than just his family. And that means the world to me. (I know that sounds cheesy, but deal with it.) The first time I heard one of the girls ("Miss Sulma" below - the one spinning him) say "I love you" to Dean as she loaded him into my car after school, I knew I had made the right choice. I mean, what parent doesn't want their kid to know they are capable of being loved and cared for by more than just their Moms and Dads. I nearly cried when she said it and I can't wait for him to go again next year. And neither can he.

I love you, buddy, and we're SO proud of you!


"Miss Sulma", "Miss Vanessa", and "Miss Teresa" - Dean's awesome teachers. Vanessa and Teresa were directly involved in Dean's curriculum and education this year and did a GREAT job!

1 comment:

The Bluths said...

I was a little surprised to see Carter Fielding behind Dean. :) You guys must live pretty close to go to the same preschool.