3.08.2008

{goodwill}


You may not know this about me, but I am addicted to Goodwill shopping. But, why shouldn't I be? The one here in Houston rarely lets me down.

Devin and I have looked at the wooden storage systems available at IKEA for quite some time, but always hesitate to purchase because it is a little pricey. Well, I found one at Goodwill yesterday for $10 (mine is pictured on the right. On the left is the same one at IKEA - different colors - sold for $70 here in Houston).

My next great find was an umbrella-style stroller - the Chicco C5 in Adventure Green sold at "Babies R Us" - that I have been eyeballing since Dean was a baby. The stroller retails for $90 but I got it for $15! It was dirty but I came home and took it apart to wash it. Once it came out of the dryer, it was good as new! (I didn't put the rain hood back on). I love it though because Dean is old enough to walk a lot of time, but our other umbrella stroller doesn't recline for Eli. It also didsn't have a storage basket, which I feel is a must-have, and is not as spacious as this one. This stroller is AWESOME!

Lastly, I always find Dean the best clothes (which will eventually be Eli's, so they both win) at our Goodwill. Each item I bought yesterday was either "Children's Place" or "Baby Gap" (Orange hooded sweatshirt, jean shorts and khaki cord shorts are "Baby Gap". The polo and Camouflaged shorts are "Children's Place"). And they were all only $1.50 each. Truthfully, Devin and I have NEVER paid full price for any of the boys' clothes. They are always either consignment, Goodwill or a really awesome sale. We refuse to pay full-price for their clothes at this age because they only wear them for a short time and half of them get ruined anyway. But, we still usually only purchase the name-brands because they are typically made the best and last the longest(and I need them to last through two).

I also bought Deano the electronic talking "Silly Six Pin" bowling game for $3 (retail: $27) and Eli the Playskool Fill 'n Spill fish for $2 (retail: $15) which I have always loved.

4 comments:

Dave & Chels said...

You always finds great stuff at goodwill! I go, but I only luck out 50% of the time. Those boys clothes are really cute.
And I don't know when I am going to come...sometime in April or May. We are trying to catch the next deal on ding we see from here to Houston! I'm so excited!!

Haley said...

I knew we were good friends for a reason! Besides the fact that you are awesome... we LOVE a good bargain. I'm addicted to Craig's list, even though it's kind of stinks here, oh well good deals sometimes.

The Riries said...

I am sooo impressed! Gotta love good finds--and you seem to have quite a few of them! Way to go!

Jason said...

man, i wish i would have known you liked shopping second hand. i would have gone with you! i'm still trying to find a good op-shop here. that's what they call them here. they don't have goodwill but they have salvation army and st. vincent de pauls. but australians shorten everything, so it's salvos and vinnies. anyway-- great finds!