9.22.2009

{i need a reminder today}



I was in our front room watching Dean and a very sick Eli playing at their train table when the doorbell rang. It was Fed Ex with a package for Devin. In the short time it took me to carry the small package from our front door to our kitchen counter I heard a loud crashing sound. I ran around the corner fast enough to catch a quick glimpse of Dean dangling (and falling) like Tarzan from the curtains. His weight was too much for the screws, including the drywall screw reinforcements, holding the rod up and the whole thing came crashing down and landing on poor, sick Eli! It brushed against my china hutch and I am shocked that it didn't break the glass panes on that. I'm also shocked that it didn't break the window where it was hanging. But it did leave a HUGE gaping hole in the wall from the hardware and there are drywall crumbs and dust all over the room!

I am usually the softy/pushover parent in our household so I know Dean was surprised at how angry I was. I was surprised. I yelled and I don't do that often. I sent him to his room and put Eli and Ava down for nap so I could settle down a bit. And when I went in to his room to talk to him, he said this:

"Do you still love me, Mommy?"

Well, break my heart, already! I know he's not used to me being angry with him, but I didn't know that he equated me reacting that way with me not loving him. It was a very humbling moment - a learning moment. I explained to him that even Mommy's get angry sometimes but it doesn't mean that I don't love him. I told him that no matter what he ever does - like break the curtains, make a mess of his toys, or forget to use his manners - I will always love him, I will always be his Mommy and he will ALWAYS be my favorite Dean in the whole-wide world.

I think we both learned our lessons.

Click image above to enlarge. It's one of my favorite quotes and I needed to hear it today.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

How sad. That's such a good reminder at how sensitive they are to our reactions as parents.
I was thinking that the other day when Adelyns was being really silly and naughty like she sometimes likes to be and I remembered I still need to show her i love her even if she is trying to drive me crazy because she thinks its funny.
I really do love that quote.

The Bluths said...

Maybe you should yell at him more often so it's not such a shock when you do, that's what I do :)