5.11.2007

Waiting for a 1-year-old nursery!

Once upon a time ("once upon a time" being last Sunday, more specifically), Devin, Dean and I went to church as usual. It was an ordinary day, for the most part. We went to sacrament, then during the second hour Dean and I went to a special class about marriage while Devin went elsewhere to teach the 10-year-olds in the ward. For the third hour, while Devin was in primary fulfilling his duties with the young children, Dean and I went to Young Womens to teach the high-school age girls some songs they will be performing on Mother's Day (I am the music director for the girls). After practicing the songs there was a special lesson on temples planned. Since I had Dean (remind me again why one-year-olds are not allowed in nursery?) and he was being a curious little wanderer as usual, I decided to close the door at the end of the hallway from the Young Womens' room and let him wander in and out of the unoccupied classrooms in the small hallway (4 small rooms). I figured it would be fun for him and easier on me than having to hold him while he tried endlessly to wriggle free from my grasp. Bad idea. All of a sudden I heard one of the doors close and realized that Dean had closed himself in one of the rooms. Okay, no big deal. So I walked over to open the door and to my bewilderment, it was LOCKED! Um, now it was a big deal and I had no idea who had the building keys. I went back into the Young Womens' room and and tried not to seem too panicked when I told some fellow-mommies what had happened and inquired about the keys. Jill popped up to run and find the keys and suggested I stay behind and talk to Dean so he doesn't "freak out". Well, the second I uttered a single word in an effort to comfort him, he began screaming. Another mommy, Jenae, came out and shuffled through her purse in a search for candy to pass under the door in a form of bribery. Just then, Jill along with a couple others, arrived back with the keys and saved the day. We freed Dean and still gave him some much-deserved candy. I don't think he was too traumatized because the whole ordeal only lasted about five minutes, but word sure did travel fast that Stephanie locked her son in a classroom. Haha. What a day!

1 comment:

The Sawyer's said...

You have the craziest stories, and you tell them so well! I wish I had more to say on my blog. Glad everything turned out ok for little Dean!