5.21.2009

{dean's surprise}




Dean gets his own room for a big birthday present. Actually, it's more of a present for his mommy and daddy too. The past several weeks the boys have been waking up at 6am or even before. They have shared a room since December or January and have done relatively well until recently when Eli finally realized his buddy sleeps in the bed next to him. To him, this seems to mean they can play all night long - which they do. Not only that, we've had to space out their bedtimes so that Eli could have enough time to fall asleep before Dean lays down, otherwise they play and hours waste away (with Dev and I running up and down the stairs constantly to tell them to "be quiet and go to bed") before they actually tire out and give up. This makes for grumpy boys and parents in the morning. With a new baby in the house, this has GOT to stop. So, we figured that we have enough rooms for everyone to have their own - we may as well do it.

Dean has been really into superheroes lately but I couldn't find any superhero bedding that I liked (I wanted something vintage comic book style) except for the batman and superman sets at potterybarnkids.com. But those are too expensive right now. So, Dean has also been REALLY into surfers lately (he has a surfer T-shirt and I think that's what inspired it) so I went with that instead. A bonus was that I saved some of his old sailboat bedroom stuff which I could still make work in his new room.

We gave him his surprise last night and he LOVED it! Eli had a little bit of a tough time going to sleep in a room by himself but he slept in until 8:30 this morning. Ah, success.

(Oh, I would like to mention that we are not advocates for having TVs in bedrooms at all but Devin made that VW-van TV hanging in the corner for the old playroom. It used to be a bus but we repainted it for the current theme and are awaiting a VW emblem to complete it. I didn't want to lose it or just shove it away to store somewhere so lucky-duck Dean also scored a TV in his new room. But he's not allowed to use it at bedtime.)

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, when did you have the time to do all that? You just had a baby. I'm impressed! I like the surfer boy.

Unknown said...

stop it!!!! Seriously, how do you get so much done!? I love love love the room! Do you just think up the ideas or find inspiration?

Jenna said...

Cute room!i also wanted to tell you about a nursing idea. Your lactation consultant can give you something called a SNA (suplimental nurser) that you wear while you nurse, then when you feel like your own milk has run out you just slip the sns in her mouth and she can keep nursing while getting the pumped milk. that way you dont have to use a bottle and it keeps stimulating you to make more milk while she drinks the pumped stuff. Does that make sense? call me if you have Questions...totally been there!

Mike and Andrea said...

Could you be any more talented? Please come decorate my house!! The room is ADORABLE!