3.12.2009

{If my water breaks, can I have yours?}



Well, I went to the Obstetrician today. It was actually an uneventful, routine-type visit. No ultrasound, no injections, just a quick exam and some discussion.

The low-down is that my cervix is already soft and I am dilated to a 2. The Doc said it could actually be a little more than that but he didn't feel comfortable poking his fingers all the way through a 30-week cervix. I thank him for that - let's not entice this babe to come any sooner please.

He did say that he was glad to feel that the baby was not quite pushing directly against my cervix which would only progress me further, quicker. She is already pretty low though (and trust me, I feel it). We discussed the possible need for steroids to develop the baby's lungs if she sneaks out anytime in the next three weeks (fingers crossed that she won't) and decided not to send me straight to the hospital to start dealing with that. I will see him again in two weeks if all goes well and we will revisit that issue then. There are some cons to the steroids - and pros too, of course - but if we can avoid it for now, we will. If I go into labor in the next three weeks, I will get them upon arrival to the hospital; apparently they are fast acting and that is usually sufficient.

Keep your fingers crossed that this impatient little baby waits at least another 4-5 weeks, that's what we'll be praying for. (okay, I think we've actually established it's my body with the lack of patience at this point.) Until then, the Doc threw out the "bed rest" suggestion followed up with a "but I know you're not going to listen to me on that, so at least take it REALLY easy." I know he knows I have two kids and a frequently-absent husband, but I'll keep reminding him.

The last thing he said as I was leaving his office was, "you're too young to have a body this old." LOL. You're telling me Doc, You're telling me. :o)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

This is me saying hi again. We'll have to be blogging friends. :)