1.27.2009

{decisions. decisions.}


Today is the day that I was to return to the cardiologist but I canceled my appointment after a LOT of consideration. After much deliberation, Devin and I felt like a cardiologist just wasn't right for us. Here's why:

1) It costs us $45 EVERY TIME we go to the cardiologist because it's considered a specialist. With eventual labor and delivery costs sure to come when Ava is born (which will be especially expensive if we have another NICU baby) it's hard to justify half of $100 over and over again for continual follow-up appointments for something that will probably not be of any use in the long run.

2) All the time and money spent on said cardiologist would be for a condition that we KNOW will go away once I have the baby and there is nothing they can do to clear it up sooner (they can only try to "control" symptoms - fainting).

3) The results of my 24-hour heart monitor showed that I have a HUGE heart murmur which could be contributing to the fainting problems. (Many women get a slight heart murmur while pregnant, so this is relatively normal. Mine is just bigger than normal apparently.)

4) They already KNOW that my condition is Pregnancy-Induced Paroxysmal Tachycardia (and now know my murmur is huge) and want to initiate twice-monthly cardiology appointments to monitor me the rest of pregnancy (which would cost us $405 in co-pays alone on top of what we already spent at our initial visit and hospital stay) and then continue treatment (a.k.a continue lining their pockets with my money) after pregnancy to ensure the condition goes away...which it will because it always has before. The above costs don't even include what we'll be responsible for paying for our 10% leftover costs for routine EKGs at each appointment and whatever other monitor contraptions they consider prescribing. Yes, they want to prescribe a 30-day monitor, but I declined.

5) Lastly, the ultimate goal of all this was to decide if drugs would make my symptoms (fainting) more manageable for the rest of my pregnancy. Well, Beta Blockers (the type of drugs I would need) are not 100% pregnancy-safe and can hinder the effectiveness of my hormone-replacement medication which is MUCH MORE essential to both mine and the baby's health. So, I would not be willing to take Beta Blockers anyway. Oh, AND the top negative side-effect for Beta Blockers? PRETERM LABOR! I am already at enough risk for that, so NO THANKS!

Thus, we have decided to save our time, sanity and MONEY and pursue different options with Dr. McGuirk (my OB/GYN) at my appointment on Friday. Hopefully this is the right decision, hopefully he tells me I can drive again sometime soon and hopefully I can give up this bed rest REALLY soon! We'll be praying for that, feel free to join us. :o)

5 comments:

Dave & Chels said...

Yeah, that's probably what I would do after listening to your reasoning. There is only so much a cardiologist can do in a situation like that. And hopefully you will be able to drive soon! I would go crazy if I were you. (And I only have ONE!)

tiff snedaker said...

Isn't healthcare ridiculous? (Costs and such.) I hope you find some alternative methods to help you through the rest of your pregnancy at your appt!

Juli and Brett said...

I have been praying for you constantly Steph. I am glad that you are happy with your decision. Sometimes you just gotta do what you think is right! Good luck!! I will continue to keep you in my prayers!

Haley said...

I wish I lived closer so I could come and take the boys or just come and hang out with you! Take care of yourself...

Haley said...

I wish I lived closer so I could come and take the boys or just come and hang out with you! Take care of yourself...