5.03.2011

{oh my hummingbird cupcakes!}




We have been VERY healthy lately (green smoothie girl healthy, if you know what that means) and, as such, the idea of making or buying a nasty (and by "nasty", I mean delectable) cake for Ava's birthday tomorrow has kept me up at night. So, I decided to try my hand at this Hummingbird cake. It was featured on the Dr. Oz a while back, but I modified a bit. I actually didn't expect much, but Wow, it is YUMMY! I highly recommend if you are trying to change your health habits like we are. :o) (Otherwise, please have a slice of white chocolate raspberry almond cheesecake for me.)

Ingredients
Makes 8-10 servings (made 8 cupcakes for us)

Dry Bowl
1 1/4 C unbleached whole-wheat all-purpose flour (I changed this. It originally called for 1/4 C whole wheat pastry flour which didn't seem necessary.)
1 tspn ground cinnamon
1/2 tspn baking powder
1/4 tspn salt

Wet Bowl
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup crushed pineapple, with juices
2/3 cup organic granulated cane sugar
1/4 cup canola oil (I replaced this with another 1/8 C of apple sauce instead)
1/3 cup apple sauce
1 tspn organic vanilla extract
1/2 cup walnuts, VERY finely chopped

Frosting (this was twice what we needed so I froze some)
1 container tofu cream cheese
1/2 cup soy margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp organic vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners, or spray with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.

In a separate bowl, mash the banana with the pineapple, then whisk in the sugar, oil, and vanilla until completely incorporated and relatively smooth. Fold in walnuts. You can also add coconut flakes.

Gently mix the wet bowl into the dry bowl, stirring until just combined. Pour batter in muffin tin lines with paper liners.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a tooth pick is inserted and comes out clean.

Cool on baking rack and ice with icing and sprinkle with walnut pieces.

Frosting Preparation:
Combine the cream cheese and margarine. Slowly add the powdered sugar, then vanilla and lemon juice. Do not overbeat frosting; tofu cream cheese softens easily.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

These sound great! I'll have to try them, since are trying to make a healthy switch as well and we have 2 birthdays coming up. What did you use to decorate them? They look awesome!

Holly Rice said...

What a great idea, I'm curious to try tofu cream cheese, where did you buy that?

tiff snedaker said...

Yeah, I'm curious about the tofu cream cheese too. I use firm tofu in a couple recipes that I make, but have never seen cream cheese. You sure are ambitious. There are lots of times that I have thought about changing our eating habits, but it's really expensive to eat the way I want to. If only crappy sodium filled convenience foods were the expensive ones, instead of natural and organic.