12.31.2007

I just need to vent...

I have a love/hate relationship with breast-feeding. After all, it helps baby build immunities. I always have some ready-on-demand. I don't have to dirty a bottle (or even waste time preparing one). I get to bond with my baby. It's never too hot or too cold. I don't have to pack a diaper bag with more than just diapers. It's free. It even helps me lose the rest of the baby weight while still eating more calories in a day. It's just plain convenient...or, at least, it should be.

Here is my dilemma. I could only nurse Dean for three months and had to supplement with formula because he wasn't getting enough milk. We learned this in the hospital when he was first born because my colostrum was not sustaining his blood sugar and again at his 2 week check-up because he wasn't gaining enough weight. Another issue I have is that my babies have to have REALLY strong suckers to stimulate the milk-flow, not even breast-pumps are strong enough after my milk comes in and the colostrum is gone. Dean was not a strong sucker. Don't get me wrong, he had a great suction and latch, just not good enough my freak body so I dried up when he was only three months old and had to formula feed from then on. I cried and whined and was really upset that it didn't work out.

Then comes Eli. Let me start by saying, be careful what you wish for. I was so excited through my pregnancy at the notion of being able to give breast-feeding another go and when Eli came home, I was pleasantly surprised. I was worried at first that this time would be worse than the last since he was in the NICU and I had to use only the pump. But I pumped and pumped and made two deliveries of breast-milk to the hospital each day so that he could have a Mommy's-milk-only diet even though he wasn't home with me, which he did and did great without any supplementing (obviously, since we got to bring home home so quickly). We were warned repeatedly, however, that he may not learn to feed at the breast very easily since he had never done that for the first nine days, but the first time we tried, he figured it out immediately! What a smartie and a STRONG sucker, to boot.

So, let's recap. Enough milk? Check. Baby willing to drink said milk? Check. Strong little sucker? Double check. What is the problem, you ask? Well, now I produce TOO much milk, called "hyperlactation syndrome". (Darn body. Get it right, already!) AND, as if that were not a problem, I also have a condition called "forceful letdown" which means when my milk drops, it sprays out like a garden hose. We learned all this because little Eli has been pretty grumpy and insatiable and gaining weight pretty quickly (little fatty). He has excessive gas from swallowing air due to the forceful letdown and although he doesn't spit up, he actually vomits sometimes from having to swallow SO much milk so fast. All are totally opposite than Dean's demeanor at that age: he was very calm , reserved, never spit up and was super SKINNY! When Eli eats, he get so much foremilk (as opposed to the more nutritious hindmilk) which has a lot of water in it. He fills up really quickly on that but it is not substantial enough to fill him up for more than 2 hours (usually less) and so he eats WAY too often. He also gets frustrated with me when the letdown occurs because it literally drowns him and he has to detach to breath since the milk sprays too much way too quickly and he cannot keep up. WHAT A MESS IT MAKES when he detaches because then I am just spraying his face, my clothes, bedding, Devin or whatever else stands in my path! AAAAaaaagh! Enough already!

We have recently tried supplementing with formula in order to stunt my milk supply a little. No luck. Just engorged me and I do NOT need an infection from being clogged right now. So now what? Eli is always hungry and annoyed. I am ALWAYS feeding and annoyed. Dean is neglected and annoyed. And Devin doesn't know how to help. I am constantly overflowing breast pads and having to shower ALOT because, let's face it, breastmilk stinks and I am covered in it most of the time. I am sick of being stinky and I am running on so little sleep that I actually resent my precious baby boy at night when he needs to eat (no more than he resents me, I suppose, for feeding him watered-down milk and spraying him in the face). I don't want to feel that way and feel really guilty about it. What happened to nursing being a beautiful opportunity to bond? I hate the fact that my baby is uncomfortable, gassy and hungry because of my flawed nursing abilities. Thus, at the risk of making Devin cry at the notion of having to afford formula now, I think I am going to stop nursing. I feel like a failure but I don't know what else to do and I have another child who also needs me. I need my life and my sanity back. Please don't judge me (I am probably my worst critic as it is) I sometimes used think mothers who didn't nurse were just lazy or quitters but I am definitely humbled by my experiences and regret ever thinking that. I stink. I leak. I spray. I never sleep. Every Mommy for herself, is my new motto. Thanks for listening.

(** Update: I have kept nursing and borrowed a hospital-grade medela breastpump from a great friend (Thanks Jami). It is going better now that I am supplementing a little but now I'm worried I'll dry up. I guess I just can't win. We'll see how it continues to go. Thanks for all the encouraging words and supports. :o)

8 comments:

the pommers said...

Honey, don't feel bad. Like you said to each his own! I nursed Eric for two months and Ethan for 6... You need your sanity!

lots of love~ Alise

Joel & Lila said...

You know what, who cares that you can't nurse...I have heard studies that say a formula fed baby(now a days) is similar to mother's milk anyway...now I don't know that for a fact, but bottle feeding is more convient and Devin can get up during the night and feed Eli while you catch some much needed sleep. Just be lucky that you get the chance to have your little guy.....that is all that matters! Even baby Dean can help feed his brother...it will work out in the end...I wish you the best and hope you don't get too engorged or get an infection while your milk is hopefully drying up.

Oh, and you better believe that I will be seeing you during Easter time come Hell or high water!!! (Excuse the expression)

I can't wait! Joel and I were just talking about missing you guys so badly and that we wish we were around you....sigh...

The Bluths said...

What if you just pumped instead? That way you wouldn't spray him (and yourself) and he could drink it from a bottle as fast as he wants to.

thebirdflock said...

I hear your frustration! I was there. I did just end up pumping the whole time with my last 2 kids. My husband called me a breast pump nazi because I was so for using the pump. They had breast milk until they were 1 and it was much easier for me because I could pump and always have bottles available (I think we got up to about 50 in the freezer at one point). It sure helped with the messy part too. I was never a mom who could breast feed in public and this allowed me a bit more freedom. Good luck and call if you ever need someone to vent to. I totally understand:)

S. Fantasia said...

Well, pumping would be a good alternative if it stimulated milk-flow, but it doesn't anymore. Like I said in the post, for some reason pumps only works for me until my colostrum is completely gone and then I require a super sucker! :o)
I don't want to stop nursing because I love that time with Eli so I am going to see how it goes to nurse once before bedtime and once when he wakes up. That way he's still getting my milk but I can deplete my supply a little more by supplementing the rest. Wish me luck!

tiff snedaker said...

((HUGS)) I was really frustrated by BF the first time around and didn't have a great milk supply either. Who knows how it will be this time around. I made it 5 months with Chandler and that was huge for me. I think it's a great idea to limit your nursing sessions to before bedtime and when he wakes up. You need to be happy too and with your milk production, it doesn't sound like you are. That stinks that pumps don't really work for you either because I know that some places will pay you for your breast milk, you could always make a job out of it, *wink* I have a medela pump in style and loved it with Chandler.
Hang in there, I hope the situation gets better - you are a great mommy!

Jamie said...

Remember with Angelia i had to stop after two weeks if even. She couldnt suck well enough and i just dried up. Even though my milk came in well in the beginning she was not able to suck and just got mad the bottle was easier all the way around. All though i definitely missed the whole bond we could have had through me breast feeding. By the way Eli looks a lot like devin in the diaper pictures. But i really like deanos fit best. I added pics to my blog.

Anonymous said...

I love your motto!! It stinks to not be able to control your own body, but it will all work out. If the breastfeeding thing works out try a nursing pad called Lily padz. They are like plastic stickers that keep your milk from leaking. The cool thing is you just wash them with warm water and they get sticky again so they are reusable. I was cursed with leakage, but these got me through. Hang in there and let me watch Dean!
jami