1.15.2011

{real-life sitcom moment...}


Funny - and a little gross - story.

I was putting the kids in the "bath shower" as they call it (only meaning the shower in their bathroom which is a tub/shower combo) on Thursday when the following took place. Dean had been saying his little tummy hurt for about fifteen minutes but I thought it was just hunger pangs because he had been a skimpy eater all day. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

All of a sudden I heard that I'm-really-sick-and-I'm-going-to-throw-up moan/cry that every parent knows all too well. Before I could pull Dean out of the shower to hover over the toilet, he threw up all over the bathtub floor - which means his brother's and sister's feet. When Ava saw the stream of vomit moving toward her she started screaming (I mean, wouldn't you?). Her screaming then frightened Eli and he accidentally stepped in the slippery mess, slipped, and landed flat on his back in Dean's throw-up. Meanwhile, Dean is still crying and - sadly - still vomiting.

It was so confusing. Everyone was horrified and crying and screaming all at the same time and my brain froze for a second as I wondered who to rescue first. I also caught myself thinking this is like a plot right out of a TV show.

I eventually gathered my wits and figured out how this needed to be taken care of. Give Dean the big head-rinsing bowl from the bathtub to throw up in, rinse his feet, get him out. Hose Ava and Eli, rinse and remove all the defiled toys for further bleaching, rinse any remaining vomit out and let Ava and Eli continue their shower. Start figuring out what more to do to help Dean.

Thankfully, by the time I got to the last bit, Dean was assuring me he was all better and giggling about throwing up on his sister and brother. He spent the next little while in my non-bath shower by himself, just in case. But he really was fine and has been that way since.

Hooray for us, we survived the chaos.

And then Devin came home from work and threw up. Ugh.

I hate flu season. (Thankfully, Dev was quickly fine as well. If you're gonna get a flu virus, this is the one you want. Though, it is not cool that this is the third flu we have had in this house since Thanksgiving!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Hope everyone feels better and you never ever in your entire life have to do that again. :) Though it does make a great story!

Dave & Chels said...

Oh wow, that had me laughing for a good, long while. "I mean, wouldn't you?" - that one cracked me up. Screaming, throwing up, chaos...I love motherhood. I often have to remind myself that this won't last forever. I'm glad you were able to handle the situation.
Now, when are you and Val going to come visit? Maybe sometime AFTER flu season, I'm thinking...

Eliza said...

We feel your pain! Fortunately, our story wasn't as dreadful as yours, but we caught the flu as well. Lisa first with diarrhea. Then, she threw up on me, so by the next day, I was sick and threw up 10+ times. It was awful. Every time I would nurse Zac I would throw up since he was so heavy on my stomach, and I wasn't even eating! Later that night I was fine and then Alex had stomach pains. The following day, Lisa had a seizure, but no fever. Zac also threw up twice. We survived the plague (just barely) and are glad to be healthy again. Except for a few runny noses and coughs, but then again, we do live in Utah and it's cold! Hope you're staying healthy!